International Overdose Awareness Day is a worldwide event that seeks to reduce the stigma of drug overdose deaths, and raise awareness about overdoses and addiction. It provides a chance for those who have been affected by addiction, or those who are grieving a life lost to addiction, to gather together in a community of support and caring. On August 31, 2016, wear silver to show your support- and if you can, attend one of these events in your area.
Events in Maryland
- Tuerk House International Overdose Awareness Candlelight Event
- 730 Ashburton Street Baltimore, MD 21216
- 7:00pm – 8:00pm
- “We will be hosting a candlelight vigil at our location with speakers and a chance for the community to share their stories.”
- Contact Person: Cyril Scovens, firstname.lastname@example.org, (410) 233-0684 ext. 118
- CEU Training: Supporting Families Grieving Addiction and Overdose Death
- Columbia Addiction Center, 5570 Sterrett Place Suite 205, Columbia, MD 21044
- 8:00 PM
- Training for professionals working with families struggling with addiction and grieving a death from a substance related cause. Details and registration can be found at this link. 3 CEU credits available to social workers, but professionals from all fields are welcome!
- Contact Person: Litsa Williams, email@example.com, 410-591-2747
Glen Burnie, MD
- Candlelight Vigil
- 710 Aquahart Road, Glen Burnie, Maryland 21061 (across from Brusters Ice Cream)
- 7:45 pm (doors open 7:15 pm)
- Anne Arundel ROSC and the Anne Arundel County Police will host a candlelight vigil to honor those lives lost to overdose in our county.
- Please come out to honor loved ones, families and friends that have suffered this loss. Learn about the hope of recovery and honor the first responders of Anne Arundel County.
- Contact Person: Carol Boyer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-591-2070
- Montgomery County International Overdose Awareness Day
- Justice Plaza, Montgomery County Circuit Court, Rockville, MD [between the Circuit Court and the EOB building, facing East Jefferson Street (Route 28)]
- 7:00 PM
- A Ceremony of Remembrance
- Contact Person: Marielsa Bernard, MBernard@mcccourt.com, 240-777-9366
Ellicott City, MD
- International Overdose Awareness Day
- St. John’s Episcopal Church, 9120 Frederick Rd. Ellicott City, MD 21042
- 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
- A public event to remember those who have been lost to Substance Use Disorder via a Candlelight Vigil , to honor those in recovery and to educate others in the magnitude of overdoses.
- Sponsored by James’ Place Inc., the Howard County Health Dept. and Maryland Heroin Awareness Advocates.
- Contact Person: Barbara Allen, Barbara@jamesplaceinc.org, 410-480-2334
- International Overdose Awareness Day – Time To REMEMBER Time To ACT
- St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, 100 Peachblossom Road, Easton, Maryland 21601
- 6:00 -8:00 PM
- Event will be held rain or shine. Outdoor venue planned with indoor option available weather permitting.
- To remember the lives lost to substance use disorder, to support those currently struggling and to spread hope to family members and loved ones in ending the stigma associated with this disease. This event will have resource tables, speakers, Remembrance Table (Please bring a photo and/or a memory of your loved one), refreshments and snacks, activities for attendees, and live music. Co-sponsored by Mariah’s Mission Fund and Talbot Partnership.
- Contact Person: Valerie Albee, email@example.com, 410-353-3964
For more information on International Overdose Awareness Day, or to find an event outside of Maryland, click here.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, don’t let overdose be the end of your story. Call the treatment professionals at Serenity Acres today for your free confidential assessment. 1-800-203-2024