Even though we get sober, life still happens. Some- a lot- of it is good. But inevitably, we will continue to face stressful situations. Surrendering outcomes and working a program of recovery are helpful in allowing us to stay sober throughout anything that comes up, but what are some other healthy ways of walking through stress?
Stress Relief Tips and Tricks
- Going for walks. Exercise has been proven to reduce stress levels, and fresh air often does a lot to clear your head!
- Taking a bath. If you’re lucky enough to have a bathtub, make a night of it. Light candles, throw some scented bath salts in, and settle in for a soak.
- Helping someone else. One of the best ways to forget your own stress and troubles is to become invested in others. Making a point to help someone else is a great way to lighten your day and your mind.
- Meditation. Meditation has been scientifically proven to reduce stress, both immediately and over time. There are many great guided meditations on Youtube, or apps such as Insight timer provide both guided meditations and “music only” meditations.
- Yoga. Yoga is another great way to de-stress. The structured breathing and emphasis on postures helps to declutter the mind, and provides physical reductions in stress hormone levels.
- Listening to music. Popping in your headphones and laying back for even just 20 minutes with your favorite tunes can help stop your mind from focusing on any stressful situations, at least temporarily.
- Coloring. There’s a reason adult coloring books have become such a huge hit! The intricate and detailed coloring books geared towards adult have proven meditative benefits, and can bring you back to the simpler times of childhood!
- Gardening. Creating or tending a garden, working with your hands, and spending time in the sunshine and fresh air can be incredibly therapeutic. Not to mention, gardening produces lasting benefits in seeing the beautiful results of your hard work!
- Aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is “therapy” for a reason! Geranium, peppermint, lavender, jasmine, chamomile, and lemongrass are all scents that have been proven to relieve stress and promote relaxation! Pick up some essential oils, and put them in a diffuser or the bathtub. Breathe deeply and feel your stress melt away!
There’s a saying in recovery that if something is messing with your sanity, it’s messing with your sobriety. Be open to new and different ways of relieving stress, and be sure you are maintaining your program of recovery! Having a clear head and not letting stress get to you is critical to maintaining your sobriety.
Help if You Need It
If you or someone you love needs help for an addiction, cal the treatment professionals at Serenity Acres today, 1-800-203-2024.