Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

The college lifestyle is a big change for anyone entering into it. Students are faced with harder classes, more assignments, and pressures to figure out their life more than ever before. A lot of the times students will cram and live day-to-day to make it through, while some others find different ways of coping with the stress. It is no secret to anyone that college, for many, is not just a reason to get away from home, but a reason to drink and party without any supervision. That said, it is becoming more of an trend for schools to offer services and programs for students who fall dependent on that new lifestyle, and may be needing help with getting back on the right track. Just about every school has a counseling center for students in distress, but only a handful actually provide programs specifically for substance use and abuse.

Programs and Counseling Services at Maryland Universities

The University of Maryland (UMD) offers counseling services to all students. They have a directed unit that focuses on Substance Use Intervention and Treatment. A number of different resources and programs are offered through the college as well such as the Alcohol & Drug Abuse Program (ADAP), Outpatient Addiction Treatment Services (OATS), University of MD Drug Treatment Program, and Comprehensive Recovery Program (CRP). For more information on these programs, call (301) 314-8106.

Like UMD, Salisbury University offers a counseling services for all students. To get started you must call (410) 543-6070 to make your first appointment, or intake appointment. During this call, they will ask you a number of different questions about your life to get to the root of why you are visiting. The university also offers Alcohol and Other Drug Education classes. There are two levels of the classes; the student class is for those who have gotten in trouble on campus with alcohol or drugs, and those who have exhibited harmful patterns of use. Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and other resources are also provided by the school.

While for Community College students may be still living at home, that does not mean the stress of the workload does not get to them just the same. For that reason, a number of community colleges also not only offer counseling services for their students, but addiction-specific programs and organizations as well. Anne Arundel Community College (AACC) provides all students with the option of counseling services at no cost. The school provides students with substance abuse education and also has a collegiate Recovery Center that is held in their student union, room 208B. Through their Substance Abuse Education office they also provide weekly Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings. Spreading Prevention and Awareness Resources (S.P.E.A.R.) club is also an option for those students who may be recovering, or just to hold their own experiences with substances to share and come up with methods of prevention. For further resources AACC has constructed a booklet that focuses on nothing but their Substance Abuse Education. While not as involved or as extensive as AACC, a number of other community colleges also provide referrals to local resources for students who may be struggling with a substance. For example, Wor-Wic Community College offers information on local resources like Alcoholics Anonymous, and Howard Community College provides information on recognizing and confronting substance abuse.

Other University and Community College Resources:

If you have a problem with drugs or alcohol, you may need treatment that goes beyond counseling. For information on inpatient addiction treatment, call the professionals at Serenity Acres- 1-800-203-2024. It’s not too late to ask for help.